Konotashi's Switching Thread Oct 10, 2009 2:09:18 GMT -5
Post by Forum Administrator on Oct 10, 2009 2:09:18 GMT -5
HF Forum Username: Konotashi
1. Where did you first learn about natural diets for ferrets?
There was a post in the diet section on another board.
2. Please describe the type of diet you would like assistance in switching your ferret(s) to. Be sure to include if you are interested in feeding whole prey (live or frozen-thawed) and if you are wanting to FULLY switch to a natural diet or PARTIALLY. If you are unsure what kind of diet you want to put your ferrets on, please express that and we can help you find the best type of natural diet for your ferret.
Mostly raw, but a little bit of whole prey thrown in would be great.
3. Why are you interested in switching your ferrets to a natural diet?
I want my ferret to be on the best diet possible. That, and I want to reduce the risk of him getting insulinoma and save some money on litter and such.
4. Do you understand that switching your ferret to a natural diet can be a lengthy, arduous process? Its not an overnight switch. It can be a commitment of several weeks or even months. Your HF Mentor will be more then happy to assist you in switchng your ferret(s) to a natural diet, but you need to be equally as commited. If you aren't willing to tough out a potentially lengthy switching process, or if you have major life changes approaching (baby on the way, moving, starting school, getting married/divorced, etc) then it might be a better idea to wait on switching your ferret's diet until you have more time. Are you willing to make the commitment?
Yes - I already have him eating raw only, but still working up to where I don't have to chop it up as much, or at all. I also would like him to recognize prey animals such as mice as food.
5. How many ferrets do you currently have? What are their names? Ages? Genders? Do they have any health problems? Are they overweight? Underweight?
I own one male - Tesla. No known health problems, and is a good weight. He's about 5 - 6 months old.
6. What diet do you currently feed your ferrets? (Please include all treats, supplements, etc)
I feed him raw, but recently got him off of Marshall's diet, since that's what he was eating at the pet store. He doesn't get many treats, but he gets a ferret fry every once in a while. I also put fish oil on some of his meals.
7. Have you ever tried to switch your ferrets to a natural diet in the past? If yes, what happened?
Yes - it was a bit time consuming, but successful.
8. What additional information about yourself or your ferrets would you like to share?
I'm concerned about whether I'm feeding him right or not. He won't eat bones, but I also want to make sure what I feed him is nutritionally balanced.
9. How often during the week do you have access to a computer?
Every day for several hours per day.
10. Please post a picture of each of your ferrets (if possible).