Leopold & Molly Switch to Raw Apr 2, 2009 23:22:47 GMT -5
Post by Paprika on Apr 2, 2009 23:22:47 GMT -5
1. How many ferrets do you currently have? What are their names, ages, genders, and do they have any health problems (this is VERY important)?
Leopold - Male. 4 months old (?) No known health problems.
Molly - Female. 4 months old (?) No known health problems.
2. What are your ferrets currently eating? Include their main diet, plus any treats or supplements (such as duk soup).
Currently eating Zupreem kibble, were on Marshalls before I got them. They are also eating FeroTone on their food.
3. What kind of diet do you want to switch to?
Raw based on whole prey, or raw with some whole prey some days.
4. Why do you want to switch to this more natural diet?
Odor reasons, as well as just wanting them to be healthy. It's REALLY hard to find good ferret food here, a lot of it is awful, and I want to avoid any issues.
5. Where/what/who got you interested in natural diets?
I work at a Pet store and we have a whole natural section. I'm very big into natural food for me, and I'm trying to get my kids (ferts!) to eat better too
6. Please list the current weight for your ferret(s). Do they appear overweight? Underweight? How is there muscle tone?
They appear to be of normal weight, like every other little ferret I've seen at a petstore or similar.
7. What is the condition of your ferret's teeth/gums? (can you get a picture?)
Bright white and bright pink!
8. Describe the texture/color of your ferrets coat.
Thick, vaguely rough.
9. How often does your ferret go to the bathroom?
Every couple of hours.
10. Does your ferret's feces and/or urine smell?
Horrible! Feces somewhat like eggs, haven't really gotten a good whiff of their urine though.
11. Smell your ferret. How strong is their odor?
I don't think it's very strong, but definitely present. I can smell the musky odor if I'm holding them or close to their cage.
12. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being completely lethargic and 10 being "through the roof!" what is your ferret's energy level?
Hahah I would say like 8 or 9.
13. How excited is your ferret about meal time (when fed kibble)?
Molly just eats and eats and eats when I give them kibble, Leopold isn't as interested.
14. Have you attempted to switch from kibble to a natural diet in the past? If so, what methods have you tried. Be specific.
No, not really, I've only offered a little bit of cooked lunchmeat. Leopold sniffed, but didn't eat it. I played with it in front of Molly and eventually she took it from me and decided to eat it--and then she REALLY liked that.
15. What other information about your ferret(s) would you like to share?
16. If you can, please post a clear photograph of EACH of your ferrets directly below:
a.) Do you understand that by starting this thread you commit to posting updates on the progress of your ferret(s) diet switch atleast every other day?**
b.) Do you understand that if you will be away from your computer for an extended period of time you will need to exchange phone numbers (or email addresses if you don't feel comfortable exchanging numbers)via private message with your assigned mentor, so that we can monitor your progress and ensure your ferret's saftey during the switch?
c.) Do you understand that any threads that have not been updated in for more then a week (with no explaination as to why you are absent) will result in the deletion of the thread?***
**Note 1: If you are unable to make it to a computer (such as on weekends) please indicate below so we know whether you just dont have computer access or if you have gone MIA.
***Note 2: If you would like to try the switch again and you are committed to making regular updates you ARE welcome to restart your thread. Failure to provide regular updates will result in the deletion of your thread.